Best Turbo Trainer Tyres For Mountain Bikes & Racers
When you’re working out indoors on your turbo trainer, a good tyre helps enhance the entire experience. Tyres are key in generating resistance, allowing you to push harder, so a great tyre needs to withstand this pressure and still provide a long-lasting product that is worth the money.
Fortunately, there are plenty of options to choose from. If you’re looking for a durable product that meets and exceeds your needs, here’s an overview of the 3 best turbo trainer tyres available today.
Tacx Trainer Tyre Review – Our Number 1
The Tacx Trainer Tyre (learn more here!) is designed to be portable and convenient, but that doesn’t stop it from offering all the benefits you could want from a turbo tyre. Let’s take a look at its unique features:
- With a dimensional size of 26 x 1.25 inches, this product is designed for use on 26 inch wheels, a very common size for turbo training.
- Despite its size and material, this is a very lightweight tyre, coming in at less than 370G when boxed.
- This tyre has a folding clincher design, allowing you to pack down the tyre when not in use, which comes in handy if you ever want to take it off of the turbo trainer.
- The black and blue colour design is very distinctive and makes for a visually appealing product.
- This tyre is designed to last longer than normal, ideally with use on a Tacx trainer.
As you can see, this is a very light – yet durable – design that fits into the portable and storable nature of turbo trainers. Great when you need it and easy to store away when you don’t, the tyre compliments any turbo workout.
Features: 26 x 1.25 Inches – Fits A 26 inch Wheel – 363G (Boxed) – Folding Clincher Design – High Mileage
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Full Tyre Trainer Review – Number 2
The Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Full Tyre Trainer is designed to be a versatile and adaptable option. If you’re looking for something to meet your changing needs, here’s a run down of what this tyre can offer:
- This tyre comes with a size of 26 x 1.1 inches, making it a tight fit for 26 inch wheels.
- However, an alternative size is also available at 700c wheels (62cm / 25 inches approximately), for much larger trainers.
- This tyre is designed to offer great heat dispersal. Not only does this keep the tyre cool to touch, it ensures the product lasts longer thanks to less burnout.
- This is supported by a special compound and tread designed to ensure longevity and a high mileage.
- If that wasn’t enough, the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro comes in a distinctive red colour, adding aesthetic flair to any turbo training equipment.
- It is also rather light, as the entire boxed package ways around 322 g.
With a great and lightweight design across two tyre sizes, it’s easy to see the benefits of this product. The tread design is an extra touch and the cool surface is very noticeable after completing an intense turbo workout.
Features: 26 x 1.1 Inches – Fits A 26 inch Wheel – 322G (Boxed) – High Mileage – Heat Dispersal
Schwalbe Insider Performance Line Twin Skin Roller Folding Tyre Review – Number 3
The final tyre in this list, the Schwalbe Inside Performance Line Twin Skin Roller is designed to be a tough, resistance product that still meets the practical needs of turbo training. Here are its most noteworthy and unique offerings:
- This tyre comes in 700C size, making it ideal for the larger turbo trainers available.
- A key feature of this model is its twin skin feature. This second coating, found along the sides, adds durability to the product, slowing down wear and tear, as well as expanding its mileage.
- At 558G boxed, this is slightly heavier than the other options, but its tough skin layers more than make up for this.
- It also has a 100kg load capacity, which is more than enough for turbo training.
- It’s distinctive blue colour is very energetic and adds a nice touch.
- As a folding tyre, this product can also be stored away conveniently after use.
This is a heavier option compared to the others, but its double layer of skin and resistant properties more than make up for this. A great choice for people who like powerful workouts.
Features: 700C – Fits 700 x 35C Wheel – 558G (Boxed) – 100KG Load Capacity – High Mileage
There are some fantastic options to choose from but, out of the very best, the top place belongs to Tacx Trainer Tyre. This model offers the best value for money and, designed for use on a very common tyre size, will find a place in many turbo trainer homes.